PHONE: (985) 447-1986
EMAIL : thibfiredept@charter.net

2011 Top Department

Thibodaux is named the state's department of the year 2011.

2014 Firemen's Fair

The band schedule is released! May 1-4 2014.

3rd Annual 5k Run/Walk

We are excited to announce NEW additions to race registration package!

History

**All information prior to 1975 contained within this page was taken from a publication titled “Century of Service” which was written and researched by our late brother fireman Lee A. Martin of the Protector Fire Company No. 2.**

The Beginning

The town of Thibodaux purchased equipment on April 3, 1843, consisting of 150 feet of hose and a dozen leather buckets to provide fire protection for its citizens. At this time the Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 was officially organized.

McAllister Fire Company No. 2

In 1850 the McAllister Fire Company No. 2 was formed, named after Thibodaux’s first mayor James McAllister. On July 6, 1852, a hand-operated pumper was purchased for $1200. The new pumper arrived in Thibodaux the following year on April 30, 1853. The McAllister Fire Company No. 2 was given charge of the new pumper.

Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1

On June 10, 1858, the Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 and the McAllister Fire Company No. 2 combined to form one fire company. On August 5, 1859 the town of Thibodaux accepted the constitution and by-laws of the combined fire companies and was named the Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1. The members of the Thibodaux Fire Company No.1 choose “Always Ready” as their motto. The Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 has been active since its beginning except for a few years during the Civil War. The Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 was incorporated on April 23, 1872, and may be the oldest volunteer fire department in the state of Louisiana.

History

During 1859 this horse drawn hand pumper was purchased.

Protector Fire Company No. 2

A second Fire Company was formed in 1867. This fire company was named Creole Fire Company No. 2. A pumper was purchased from the Protector Fire Company No. 2 of Carrolton, now part of New Orleans. The Creole Fire Company No. 2 name was changed to match the name that the pumper bore from its original owners. The Protector Fire Company No. 2 was incorporated on March 20, 1876. The motto of the Protector Fire Company is “Deeds Not Words.”

Home, Hook, and Ladder Fire Company No. 1

Early in 1874 a third Fire Company was formed with the purchase of a truck with hooks and ladders. This new fire company was named Home, Hook, and Ladder Fire Company No. 1. The Home, Hook, and Ladder Fire Company motto is “Trust in Us.”

*Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department formed*

The Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1, Protector Fire Company No. 2, and the Home, Hook, and Ladder Fire Company No. 1 led to the formation of the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department. The Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated on September 7, 1874, creating a fire board to govern over all three of the Fire Companies.

*First steam engine purchased.*

The Departments first steam engine was purchased in April of 1880 and the Protector Fire Company No. 2. was put in charge of the engine.

Badeaux Bucket Brigade

A fourth Fire Company was formed in 1887. This fire company was named the Badeaux Bucket Brigade. A few years later the name was changed to the Thibodaux Bucket Brigade. Each member of the Thibodaux Bucket Brigade was issued a bucket and a hatchet. The first used to carry water to a fire, and the second to gain access into a burning building.

 

*In 1888 the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department with the cooperation of the Thibodaux City Council, purchased a new Silsby Steam Fire Engine for $2,200.*

Brooklyn Hose Company No 3

In March of 1898, the Brooklyn Hose Company No 3 was organized. This fire company existed until 1908 when they merged with the Protector Fire Company No. 2.

*The beginning of a long tradition in the Louisiana State Firemen’s Association*

The Louisiana State Firemen’s Association was formed in 1906 with Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department’s Chief Charles Riviere as one of its founders. In 1909 Charles Riviere was elected president of the Louisiana State Firemen’s Association. Since then the Thibodaux Fire Department has had a number of its members elected as president of the LSFA.

St Joseph Fire Company No. 3

St Joseph Fire Company No. 3 was organized on March 9, 1911. This fire company did not last long and the last newspaper report on them was that they attended the 1915 Firemen’s Parade.

In 1915 the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department acquired its first gasoline driven truck. This truck was assigned to the Protector Fire Company No. 2.

Young America Company No. 3

The Lafourche Comet reported in its March 15, 1917 issue that the Young American Company No. 3 had been formed. Their existence was short lived as they consolidated with the Protector Fire Company No. 2 in May of 1918.

Vigilant, Chemical, and Hose Fire Company

On April 4, 1920 the Thibodaux Bucket Brigade fire company became the Vigilant, Chemical, and Hose Fire Company. The motto this fire company choose is “Here for Duty.”

North Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1

The North Thibodaux Fire Company No. 1 was organized and incorporated on February 23, 1949 and the members of this Fire Company choose “Actions Speak” for its motto.

South Thibodaux Fire Company

On September 28, 1958 the South Thibodaux Fire Company was formed and incorporated. The South Thibodaux Fire Company motto is “Friends in Need.”

West Thibodaux Fire Company

The West Thibodaux Fire Company was organized and chartered on January 1, 1966. The West Thibodaux Fire Company motto is “Ever Alert.”

Bowie Fire Company No. 1

The Bowie Fire Company No. 1 was the last Fire Company to join the Thibodaux Volunteer Fire Department in 1989. The Bowie Fire Company motto is “Service Above Self.” <

Rescue Squad

In March of 1978, the Rescue Squad held its first organizational meeting. The squad was comprised of the Rescue Chief and two members selected from each of the seven fire companies from the Thibodaux Fire Department.

Communications Squad

At the May 14, 1979 fire board meeting, 2nd Assistant Fire Chief Mike Oncale Sr. made a motion to put a spare fire department radio in the float barn office. Along with a telephone and the “Gamewell” bell to help out the Thibodaux Police dispatcher after a fire alarm would come in. This was the beginning of the command squad, as we know it today.

Air Squad

 

Hose Tender Squad